PICTORIAL REPORT

Follow pictorial reports on events posted in this blog via Facebook. Click HERE

Friday, May 17, 2019

I Am Back


5 years gone by.... And now, I AM BACK!

Based on the time stamp on my last posting, this would be just about 5 years 2 months since last I wrote in my blog. Based on the same date, I stopped writing in my blog just after a year after I came back into full employment. If memory serves me right, I tried to gave it a go to see if I can manage both chess and work at the same time but it was too challenging and too tiring, and one year was enough for me to decide that something has got to give. The choice was rather obvious! Between a chess business that has plenty of uncertainties to offer against a steady job that provides a steady income, it was a no win contest for chess. So the chess business folded, the weekend events grew lesser and the chess limelight that I used to enjoy gradually phased out. Chess took a quiet corner at the back seat although I still do ocassional events every now and then to keep myself current with the game. 

Recapping the 5 years since then, I would happily concluded that I enjoyed my times working at my current establishment as it has provided me the opportunity to make new friends, enhance my knowledge and provide a desire to advance in the corporate ladder. And I did just that - from a mere manager to a Head of Department in just over 2 years. My life was back on track and the future seems to be a lot brighter as the job that I have was something that I am good at. Having been in the industry for almost 12 years prior, and with a couple of National awards to boast, I know I am good at it! 

Without a doubt, work is all about our means to survive, to put food on the table, and not having to worry about how I am going to survive tomorrow, whether I am able to pay the bills or not, and worry about how to manage my daily household expenses. Comparing to chess because chess is passion, and in most cases, passion can't put food on the table, can't fill petrol in the car, and can't pay for convenience. But at times, chess has helped me to "provide and survive", but its just that it is not as consistent as I would like for it to be. Reflecting on this, I am quite amazed that many have ventured into full time chess - perhaps times are much better now than it was 5 years ago. There are plenty of chess events and this happens almost every week. And I can see chess organizers and officials and suppliers, travelling across the country (and sometimes going overseas) to expand their business wing. Kudos to all of you for making it where I have failed before. But as many more venturing into the same line of business, while the cake can be big, the portion may become smaller as time progresses.

In all honesty, I have always wanted to be a chess entrepreneur from as far back as 1990 when I first came back to Malaysia - having compared how chess is being managed here in Malaysia compared to the States. But chess is a niche market, small and expensive since most items and products need to be imported - and I believe it is true still today. In short, you need to have a strong capital to sieze the market, good networking, patient and the ability to run around across the country to fight your competitor, capture and expand your market.

But for me, I dont think I will have the energy to compete in the "supply and retail market" but perhaps, I would want to focus on event management, consultation, arbitering and writing. The former would be too hectic and exhausting for me as I would have to compete against the younger generations who will have plenty of time, immense energy and endless
cash flow. 

So does this mean I am ready to venture again into chess and seize some chunk of the "chess cake"? So, why do I want to be back in chess? What gives?

The first sign came last year when I have finally managed to overcome a personal issue that has bothered me for many years. The second sign is when my long time friend Hamid called me up to see if I am interested to help him as his assistant to which I responded with a yes - now that work has stabilised having climbed the corporate ladder. And of course, it is fun to be working Hamid again - a friend whom I have known for almost 30 years now. Although we may have disagreement at times - who does not, we are both very focused towards making things right for chess. And the third sign, with my work place undergoing massive transformation and restructuring, it sort of provided me with the final indicator that is it time to move on. I can always search for a new job but maybe, let us try give chess another go. With a bit savings that I have, new networking that I have forged and a more "relaxed and happier" approach towards growing older and wiser, this should be the right time to focus again on my passion. If it still does not give me the joy and the satisfaction that I seek, I can always pack my bags and "balik kampung tanam jagung" - have fun with my grandkids, and taking care of my parents. Its time to work for what I believe, my desire and my passion.

OK guys... Let's ROCK and ROLL!




No comments:

Post a Comment